Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
This small island nation is located in one of the world’s chief oil-producing regions, but it has relatively small petroleum resources. Therefore, its economy has long relied on processing crude oil from neighboring countries. Bahrain has experienced significant religious, political and economic tension, resulting mainly from the Sunni-Shiite division among its Muslim populace and its involvement in the global economy. This unrest, coupled with the faithful witness of indigenous Arab and immigrant Christian workers, has led to a season of openness and some response to the gospel among those indigenous to Bahrain.
Less than 1 percent of native Bahrainis are Christians; nearly all are Muslims. However, Christians among Bahrain’s expatriate workers make up 8 percent of the population, including 3 percent evangelicals.
Families and local communities are the main persecutors, but the government occasionally imprisons or harasses a new Christian.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Bahrain:
Christian converts from Islam often lose their jobs and social status, and many are rejected by their families. However, some still gather to worship in secret.
Access To Bibles:
Bahrainis have limited access to the Bible through the internet and churches. Give Bibles
VOM supports evangelists who work throughout the Arabian Peninsula. We distribute Bibles and other Christian literature, and we support and encourage new believers who suffer for their faith. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray for Ghaleb, who is ostracized by his family and harassed at work for placing his faith in Christ.
- Pray for those who received a strict Muslim education and are now persecuting believers.
- Pray that Jesus Christ will be revealed to those persecuting believers.
- Pray for the encouragement of women who worship in secret for fear of losing their children and families.
- Pray for the success of Scripture distribution efforts to local seekers.
- Pray for Michael, who is in hiding from family members trying to harm him.