Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Though the Tanzanian government generally seeks to protect Christians from persecution, they still face significant opposition in Muslim-majority areas along the coast and in western regions. Tanzania is also home to many unreached tribal groups who are resistant to the gospel. Like many countries in Africa, Tanzania is being targeted by Muslim groups outside the country that work to Islamize Tanzania by establishing Muslim businesses and schools, helping Muslims get elected to office and passing laws that favor Islam. Even so, local churches in Tanzania boldly work to spread the gospel.
51 percent of Tanzanians are Christians, including 10 percent evangelicals. However, 99 percent of those living in the Zanzibar archipelago, along Tanzania’s coast, are Muslims.
Christians are persecuted by community members and organized Islamist groups in Muslim-majority areas.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Tanzania:
Christians can freely practice their faith, but they are oppressed and harassed in predominantly Muslim areas. Persecution ranges from family pressure to the burning of churches and homes. On the island of Zanzibar, the local government works to quietly close churches, prevent the establishment of new ones and force pastors to leave. Persecution is more overt on the island of Pemba, where Christians are violently attacked. In the predominantly Muslim areas, Christians, especially converts from Islam, are often ostracized by their communities and prevented from obtaining jobs.
Access To Bibles:
Bibles are readily available in most areas, but they can be difficult for believers to obtain in remote, predominantly Muslim areas. Give Bibles
VOM provides Bibles and supports Christians who are attacked or rejected because of their faith. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray for pastors on Mafia Island who have been forced to move or had homes destroyed.
- Pray for Christian converts from Islam, who suffer greatly at the hands of family members.
- Pray for pastors in Zanzibar who are falsely accused by neighbors and subjected to lengthy legal cases.
- Pray for foreign missionaries, many of whom have been deported after having their work permits revoked.
- Pray that Christians in predominantly Muslim areas will be bold and courageous witnesses.
- Pray for Mama Generose, the widow of a martyred pastor.
- Pray that Tanzanian churches will work to reach 30 unreached people groups in the country.